Tuesday 7 February 2012

ZERO!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. DICKENS!!!

Dickens's Dream (1875),
by Robert William Buss (1804-1875)
The countdown has finally ended. Today we celebrate the 200th birthday of Charles Dickens. Happy bicentenary, Mr. Dickens! You haven't aged a bit!!!

Charles John Huffam Dickens was born on 7th February 1812, at Landport, in Portsea (Portsmouth) and he rose to become the most popular writer of his generation and certainly one of the greatest authors of English literature. One can argue whether his narrative has aged or not depending, of course, on personal tastes. Indeed, although Dickens is celebrated as one of the greatest English novelists he is also censured for his sometimes excessive sentimentalism, particularly in his portrayal of destitute children.

Dickens at the Blacking Warehouse (1904),
from a drawing by Fred Bernard
Having been removed from school at the age of 12 and sent to a blacking factory in order to support the family's poor economy, young Dickens was forced to become intimately acquainted with the harsh conditions of the working classes, particularly as they affected children. At Warren's Blacking Factory and Warehouse, Dickens had to type up and label pots of paste blacking, earning six shillings a week after working for 10-11 hours every day. He had come to know about child labour the hard way, who could then blame him for excessive sentimentality if, in exchange, he succeeded in raising awareness in the somewhat numbed Victorian reading public?

I have studied and taught some of Charles Dickens's works but am far from having read all of them. The year we celebrate his bicentenary, I have decided to fill that gap.  When I started the countdown to Dickens's birthday, I was contemplating the possibility of reading ALL of his works in this year and share my experiences with potential readers of this blog. But then, taking into account that I have a full-time job that requires a lot of reading and a lot of writing, I settled for a more realistic goal: I would spend at least one hour a day with Dickens and share whatever I thought of interest in this virtual space. I don't want to have a fixed idea of how this blog will take its shape, I'd rather allow its growth to be "organic", with no sense of obligation, just the joy of celebrating the life and work of one of England's greatest authors.  Some books will be read for the first time, others will be re-read for the second, third, or nth time (that is, for instance, the case of Hard Times, which I have taught on several occasions and have now lost track of how many times I have read it). Still, I'll try to approach all them with new eyes.

This will be the first time that I read Dickens electronically, since all the books I posses are Penguin editions. Although I must admit that I am somewhat stuck to the idea of reading Dickens while smelling the paper, I also decided to make a more practical decision and buy a Kindle edition which I can read on my iPad, so that I can take the complete works with me everywhere and save also an inordinate amount of space. The Delphi Classics edition of Dickens's complete works is fully illustrated and also includes essays on critical appreciation as well as some of his biographies.

I have more time to read just for pleasure during the holidays so it might be the case that I succeed in my earliest, more ambitious goal: that of reading all of Dickens's work in one year. If that is the case, this blog will come to its conclusion in a year's time, when Dickens becomes 201 years old. If not - which, let's face it, is the most likely outcome - I will keep on writing until I have read everything he ever wrote, until his heart stopped while writing The Mystery of Edwin Drood

So the adventure begins. Please, join me in celebrating Charles Dickens's bicentenary. The next post will be devoted to his first published story, A Dinner at Poplar Walk, issued in the Monthly Magazine in 1833. In the meantime, I leave you with Google's fantastic "doodle" to commemorate the occasion and with two different clips about Charles Dickens's life: a cartoon production by the BBC, and a very short documentary introducing Claire Tomalin's latest book: Charles Dickens: A Life (Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 2011). Enjoy the ride!











7 comments:

  1. I think this is a great chance to get in "touch" with Mr Dickens again ... My 2nd year students read a reduced version of A Christmas Carol last term and I prepared a PowerPoint which they saw yesterday. Not sure if they liked it but at least I made sure they went home with some Dickensian knowledge in their heads ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's that smile!!! Good for you and lucky for your students since they get to have you as their teacher!

      Delete
  2. Por supuesto que nos unimos con mucho gusto a la "fiesta de cumpleaños" y, sobre todo, a seguir tu blog.

    No te imaginas lo que han disfrutado los alumnos esta mañana "celebrando el cumple".

    Y no te imaginas lo que se acuerdan de ti...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Hola, flores! ¡Gracias por uniros al blog y por comentar. ¡Jo! ¡Ojalá hubiera podido yo hacer una fiesta de cumpleaños con mis alumnos. Pero, claro, en período de exámenes, imposible. El próximo que vayáis a celebrar, me avisáis y me escapo. Besos para todos.

      Delete